Modix BIG-120X printer was first introduced in late 2018. Similar to BIG-60, it has all the latest components of generation 4 and enjoys the same level of modular offering to better match your needs and budget.
Here are a few unique specifications:
- Delivery: self-assembly kit unless assembly service is selected.
- Print volume: 1,200 X 600 X 640 mm (XYZ).
- Machine Size (WxDxH): 1,556×1,060×1,430 mm
- Shipping Weight: ~170 KG (depend on add-on selection)
- Enclosure: Optional
- IDEX – Secondary print head: optional
- Z Axis Guides: Smooth rods, Hiwin rails – optional
- Additional add-ons are available below.
- The price includes 12 months of warranty and lifetime support. The warranty does not include degradable (PEI sheet and nozzles) and consumables. The warranty can be extended up to two additional years, please select the desired extension below.
- Shipping cost is a regional flat fee that should be selected at the bottom of this product page after you select the required components.
- Ordering add-ons only (without a printer), will require an additional shipping fee.
Fresh New Design & Improved Enclosure
The new Modix Generation 4 enjoys a freshly updated design and a modern logo font. In addition, the enclosure has been improved by adding the following features:
- Pneumatic top lid
- Rear maintenance opening hatch
- Sturdy door hinges
- Door and lid sealing strips
- Improved internal led lighting
IDEX dual printing add-on
“IDEX” stands for independent dual extruder, where each extruder is independently controlled. Meaning, while the active extruder is printing, the second extruder is “parked” outside the printing area. Therefore, printing advanced models with
internal geometries are made possible more easily, by using water-soluble filament.
The IDEX is sold as an add-on in all generation 4 printers.
- Secondary printing subsystem: Griffin print head, clog detector, PTFE, spool mount.
- Motion system: secondary Y-axis motor with the required components (belts, pulleys, etc.).
- Metal brackets for both Y axis and print heads
- Wires, drag chains, and optical end-stops.
Fully automated calibration
With Generation 4, all our line of 3D printers now come with the electronic expansion board named “Duex 5” (before, this was provided by default only with BIG-Meter and BIG-180X models).
By using Duex 5, a dedicated stepper motor driver is allocated for each Z and X-axis motor. As a result, Modix printers now offer a full set of automated calibration routines to all Generation 4 models, including automated bed tilt, bed leveling, gantry alignment, and Z offset calibration.
Fast 3D Printing
Modix’s Generation 4 printers are capable of printing significantly faster than before. Travel
speed of up to 350 mm/s, and high quality printing at 100 mm/s and higher
speeds for printing at draft quality.
This higher print speed has been made possible thanks to strong NEMA 23 motors on the X-axis instead of NEMA-17 motors. In addition, the weight has been reduced on the Y axis as the weight of one motor is split now into two independent ones, using the IDEX setup.
Emergency stop button
Modix Generation 4 models are all equipped with an emergency stop button. The stop button resets the Duet controller and stops printing immediately.
Frontal power switch, tilt screen & emergency button
The taller printers, BIG-Meter and BiG-120Z now have some add-ons by default:
- Tilt screen – Mounted on an articulated arm, the tilting touch screen provides easier access to information and commands for customers at different heights. It is also very convenient to use during system calibration: you can rotate the touch screen for easy access when you are working and looking at the print head performance.
- Frontal secondary power switch – this feature is very convenient if the printer is located in a tight corner, or in between other equipment.
- Large secondary reset button – improves accessibility to the reset button.
Improved Z axis
Modix Generation 4 3D printers have stronger Nema-23 motors and CNC-machined brackets that hold the bed firmly and at a higher level of accuracy.
End-stop switches are now upgraded to optical switches in all Generation 4 printers. Optical switches are more accurate and have a high level of repeatability over time. This is especially important for job recovery after a power outage.
Improved PTFE management
With Generation 4, the PTFE tube rests in a roller guide that ensures its most relaxed position and as a result, this reduces the friction inside the tube.